Skip to main content

GNW: Sydney to Newcastle FKT 2021

Carcoar Cup


I heard about the Carcoar Cup on the Coolrunning forums from some of the Western Sydney Marathon runners who were heading out there to race it and it seemed like a great excuse for a weekend of running and camping. Carcoar is a tiny little town about 30 minutes outside of Orange that appears to exist in the century before last, there's not a whole lot there besides the pub, but it was a pretty decent pub which did a tasty pre-race pasta dinner.

Flat Tyre
We had a slight hiccup the day before the race which had us on the side of the Mid Western Hwy with a flat tyre after doing a driving tour of the course. Darren Mclellan stopped to see if we needed assistance, but the NRMA was already on the way and I was soon in possession of a car with a space saver tyre on it that would not be getting us the 300kms home, but I would deal with that after the race.

The race started at 8:00am from the main street in Carcoar and it was freezing, I was keen to start running just to warm up, the initial part of the course crossed the bridge and was a pretty steady climb out of town for the first 11kms, I kept it pretty calm for this initial climb and watched as the race leader slipped away. I wasn't keen to chase her, she was unbeaten in this race and I knew that there was Mt Macquarie in the later half that I'd need to save myself for. After the climb the race was undulating, with views over the surrounding farmland, cows, random country folk watching and cheering the race from the side of the road, an abundance of drink stops and a mix of dirt and gravel road, pretty easy running and with the field spread out I just rolled along keeping a steady pace.

The halfway point was marked by a tour of Neville, an even smaller country town then Carcoar (but it also has a pub), This was also the the starting point of the half marathon so there were lots of people out to see the race and cheer on the runners, we ran maybe a km or so down the main street of Neville, then onto a back street, before turning and coming back up the main road. I could see the female race leader had a bit over a km on me and she was looking good. I was the same distance in front of the third place female and fourth was only a couple of hundred metres behind her.

I was feeling fine and was past the halfway mark so it was time to step it up and see what happened, I could see Mt Macquarie getting closer as I raced out of Neville and back onto the main road. With the faster pace I started running down the guys who'd been in front of me as we past the last drink stop before the mountain, then it was climbing. Not crazy walking pace climbing, more like the Middle Ridge Road out of Palmdale climbing, steep but completely runable, my sort of climbing. I powered up the rough road into the logging forest and 2kms later I was greeted by a drink stop and told that I'd made it to the top, I was a bit disappointed, I really thought the hill with the tyre puncturing rocks seemed steeper and longer, I overestimated it. I would have liked to admire the view from the top more, but it was racing time and all downhill into Carcoar. The downhill was harder then the uphill and I bruised my foot on one of the giant rocks as I raced down the other side of the mountain, then it was onto the flat and back towards the cheering crowd on the main street of Carcoar and into second place in a time of 3:20.

The rest of the afternoon was spent hanging around Carcoar waiting for the presentation with the totally awesome custom made pottery trophies (I got a bowl), I don't think the town gets busy very often and the pub was doing a roaring trade with the finish line conveniently located out the front. Without a viable way home Sunday night was spent chilling out and camping by Carcoar Dam before we mad it into the Blayney on the Monday morning, got a new tyre and were able to drive home.

Carcoar is definitely a race I am looking at doing again next year, the community atmosphere was fantastic, the course was my sort of road race (with a mix of dirt and hills) and there's an unbeaten female runner, perfect!



Popular posts from this blog

GNW: Sydney to Newcastle FKT 2021

(Distances mentioned are based on the original mapped distances. The actual run distance ended up 10km longer than what the maps calculated. The route used was the current route, no temporary deviations in place. But there are newer course changes) The original plan had been to fly to WA and race Delirious WEST as the first race in a crack at the Triple Crown (3 Two Hundred Mile races in a calendar year). But COVID restrictions brought that plan to a halt and after discussing it with Julie Brock, we both had the same backup plan. GNW!! The run took place on the same weekend that Delirious WEST was originally planned and I wanted to do South to North (Sydney to Newcastle) because that’s the way the bushwalkers hike, it’s the way I first hiked it in 2006 and I really don’t like the giant steps in the southern section so wanted to get them out of the way early. So the plan was made! Mum and I met Julie and Dave (Julie’s partner and support crew) at the Obelisk at Macquarie Place just befo

100 miles/162.8km on the Hume and Hovell Track

I had serious FOMO after volunteering at GNW this year, so the quest to find a 100 miler to enter was underway. At first I thought I’d go Feral Pig (163kms on the Bibbulmun track in WA). But then I saw a Facey post from Hume & Hovell announcing that they were worth 6 UTMB points. Looked good, so I sent a few messages to people who’d done the race in previous years to get a sense of what the trail and race are like and all I heard back were good things (apart from the flooding last year), and being in a location that I’d never raced before and on an actual hiking track, I was sold! The race was very very well organised, a fully marked course with tape every few hundred metres and reflective strips for the night. Plus the Hume & Hovell walking track signs with their direction arrows. The directions leading up to the race were great, locations were made clear enough even for someone not from the area and we scoped out a couple of the aid stations early on, just to make sure mum (s

Trying another Triathlon

Being injured for such a long time meant that there was plenty of cross-training. So I decided it was time to put all of that extra training to use and compete in a Triathlon. I did my first ever Triathlon at TriWyong last year with the Try-aTri event, but this year it was time to up it to the longest they had available. The Club distance event, with 1km swim, 30km cycle & 8km run. I was pretty nervous about both the swim and the cycle. So in preparation for the swim I’d been doing lots of laps various Newcastle pools and I had a couple of 1km long open water swims to see how I’d go. Attempt 1 at Toowoon Bay went great. Attempt 2 at Patonga was a total disaster and I learnt why the swim leg is the first leg of a Triathlon. I’d just finished a tough 25km trail run and had packed my cossies and wetsuit to have a practice swim. As soon as I hit the water my feet started cramping, so I stretched them out a little and set off. It didn’t really get any better, at one stage I was floating