Skip to main content

GNW: Sydney to Newcastle FKT 2021

Six Foot Track


I was very nervous preparing to run Six Foot Track it was the longest race I’d ever run at 45kms and by far the toughest, it was also my first trail marathon. I’d qualified for it with a Marathon the previous year and judging from the times I’d placed myself in Wave 4, expecting to finish in around 6 hours… or at least under 7 hours, which is the cutoff time.

Down the stairs
Mum dropped Thomas and I off at The Explorers Tree at Katoomba and he went off to join Wave 2, while I waited around in the cold for my wave to start about 20 minutes later. We were soon off and running, a gentle jog to the top of the stairs where we all came to a halt as the runners were reduced to walking pace while we made our way down the wet and slippery stairs, the slow pace however did allow me a lot of time to look around and admire the waterfalls and cliffs as we walked the first kilometre and a bit. Then onto a fire trail where some of the runners took off, I’d been given instructions to take it very easy until I cross Cox’s river and hit the hills, then to walk/run the steep hills, before reaching the top and as soon as I get to the road I was to take off. Following those instructions I settled into a very gentle jog, running with different people at different times, some wanted to talk and some were just happy to run along.

River Crossing
We soon reached the Megalong valley with it’s pastures and cows, this made a change from the bush running, and the trails got narrower and the country more undulating, plus the cows. The Rural Fire Service had great little drink stops setup along the way to keep us all going. The country changed again as we got closer to Cox’s River and we also ran into our first lot of hikers. I felt very sorry for them, they were hiking up from the river and had to keep stopping to let all the runners get past. The narrows trails wound down following the river until we reached the part to ford it. The RFS had placed a rope across, and the first part was only waist deep, the next part, the main part of the river, was a lot deeper and flowing very fast. I made my way across in a group of runners and soon found myself up to me neck and holding onto the rope as I lost my footing, it was all very exciting, and I would totally class it as an obstacle racing obstacle. I made it safely to the other side and stopped for a couple of pieces of watermelon at the drink stop before hitting the hills. I ran the first hill all the way to the next drink stop which was up in a paddock.

I met a couple of Trotters ladies at the drink stop while we were all putting on sunscreen, as it was starting to get hot, from there and the next 16 or so km’s it was all uphill. I ran the smaller inclines and switched to full bushwalking mode for the steeper slopes, going so far as picking up a walking stick and using it to keep pace as I marched up the hills. Overtaking a lot of people. Then some more running, then some hiking. The drink stops started to get even better and also creepier as we hit one stop where all the blokes were dressed up as superheroes. However seeing a fat batman with belly hanging out and a superman in a belly showing top and skin tight shorts was quite disturbing, as the guy running next to me at the time put it “Have I been taking acid? I think this is just making me want to run faster”. However they were offering drinks (including coke), and energy bars, it was time for me to start drinking coke and getting the sugar and caffeine hit.

From there the countryside had the continuing brilliant views and more undulating hills, and I was feeling great, I had heaps of energy left and was just waiting to hit the road, I started to pick up the pace a little knowing that I had plenty left and was about 15km’s out.

Coming into the finish
We hit the pine forests next, but I didn’t like them as much as the natural bush. Still it was wall part of the scenery. I hit a drink stop about 10km’s out and stopped for a minute to have a good drink of water and some more coke, I’d realised that if I pushed it I could possibly do the race in under 5½ hours which would be well under what I’d estimated. So refreshed I took off, I increased my pace to as fast a race pace as I figured I could maintain at that stage which was around 5min/k's, I was flying, I crossed the road after a couple of k’s and was overtaking a lot of Wave 3 runners, so I knew I was doing alright. There were a few steep hills that reduced me to a walk to get up them, but I made up for it on the downhills, we reached the final drink stop and I ran straight through and hit the very steep downhill into Jenolan Caves, It was going to be very close, the track got even steeper and I had to reduce my pace as I was worried about falling or touching stinging nettle. I hit the steps and path down to the caves and was flying, I only had a few minutes to hit the line, so I pushed it, just hoping I didn’t lose my footing, I called out to the tourists who were using the track to get to the caves “Excuse Me” and they fortunately stepped out of the way, I don’t think I would have been able to stop if they didn’t. I had less then a minute as I hit the final zig zag path and quickly ran down the last lot of steps sprinting for the finish line and making it with less then 30 seconds to spare. I was totally stoked. Mum on the other hand missed my finish not expecting me to come in for another half hour.


Popular posts from this blog

GNW: Sydney to Newcastle FKT 2021

(Distances mentioned are based on the original mapped distances. The actual run distance ended up 10km longer than what the maps calculated. The route used was the current route, no temporary deviations in place. But there are newer course changes) The original plan had been to fly to WA and race Delirious WEST as the first race in a crack at the Triple Crown (3 Two Hundred Mile races in a calendar year). But COVID restrictions brought that plan to a halt and after discussing it with Julie Brock, we both had the same backup plan. GNW!! The run took place on the same weekend that Delirious WEST was originally planned and I wanted to do South to North (Sydney to Newcastle) because that’s the way the bushwalkers hike, it’s the way I first hiked it in 2006 and I really don’t like the giant steps in the southern section so wanted to get them out of the way early. So the plan was made! Mum and I met Julie and Dave (Julie’s partner and support crew) at the Obelisk at Macquarie Place just befo

100 miles/162.8km on the Hume and Hovell Track

I had serious FOMO after volunteering at GNW this year, so the quest to find a 100 miler to enter was underway. At first I thought I’d go Feral Pig (163kms on the Bibbulmun track in WA). But then I saw a Facey post from Hume & Hovell announcing that they were worth 6 UTMB points. Looked good, so I sent a few messages to people who’d done the race in previous years to get a sense of what the trail and race are like and all I heard back were good things (apart from the flooding last year), and being in a location that I’d never raced before and on an actual hiking track, I was sold! The race was very very well organised, a fully marked course with tape every few hundred metres and reflective strips for the night. Plus the Hume & Hovell walking track signs with their direction arrows. The directions leading up to the race were great, locations were made clear enough even for someone not from the area and we scoped out a couple of the aid stations early on, just to make sure mum (s

Trying another Triathlon

Being injured for such a long time meant that there was plenty of cross-training. So I decided it was time to put all of that extra training to use and compete in a Triathlon. I did my first ever Triathlon at TriWyong last year with the Try-aTri event, but this year it was time to up it to the longest they had available. The Club distance event, with 1km swim, 30km cycle & 8km run. I was pretty nervous about both the swim and the cycle. So in preparation for the swim I’d been doing lots of laps various Newcastle pools and I had a couple of 1km long open water swims to see how I’d go. Attempt 1 at Toowoon Bay went great. Attempt 2 at Patonga was a total disaster and I learnt why the swim leg is the first leg of a Triathlon. I’d just finished a tough 25km trail run and had packed my cossies and wetsuit to have a practice swim. As soon as I hit the water my feet started cramping, so I stretched them out a little and set off. It didn’t really get any better, at one stage I was floating